January 12, 2010

Don't go changin' [too much]

I have not been back to Melbourne town in over 18 months.
That's a really long time to not visit a city that changes so rapidly...and rapidly it's a changin'
Although I resided here for around three and a half years, I feel almost lost in a place I once called home.
I fear Melbourne is getting too big...it is losing it's intimate charm.
I have visited my old favourites, stumbled across new ones, and shall explore more tomorrow, but even though I adore elements of this city, I suspect I have fallen out of love with her.
A whole new freeway has appeared, apartment blocks are popping up like weeds, bar staff are less interested and people in general seem less friendly.
It's no secret that I struggle to be present, [uno, live in the moment, see first what is directly before me, blah, blah, blah] but although I am surrounded by excellent coffee, great restaurants, hot fixie riders, quirky bars, retail sales, gorgeous people, and excellent street art, I just don't feel at home here anymore.
Despite this 40 degree weather, Melbourne is losing it's warmth.
Perhaps tomorrow I shall feel differently...
Anyway, tonight involves a first...a quiet night at Revolvar [yeah, seriously]
We're starting with food in the dining room [now Colonel Tans, previously Paddee Thai] before a feature film premiere in the band room, where I'd normally be found dancing till daylight...

No comments:

Post a Comment